Wednesday, August 3, 2011

I'm done whining . . . for now

A couple days ago, I was doing some griping about how bad I was running. Well, I'm not sure if PokerStars reads my blog (unlikely), but the software, which had been utterly luck-screwing me, made a 180-degree turn in terms of how it was treating me.
Over my next six sit 'n go tournaments (four $30s and two $60s), I cashed four times, including three wins. To say I ran good would be an understatement. Certainly, I played well, adhering to my earlier position that I was making good decisions but just needed the cards to turn slightly in my favour. But I also found myself in some lovely spots. For instance, in one of the $60 SNGs, I had a medium-stacked opponent decide to shove from the small blind into my big blind. I had aces, he had QTo, and I held. Later in the same tournament, I made a raise, and found myself committed when a short stack shipped it behind me. He had AK, I had KhQh, but I flopped a queen and hung on for the knockout. I went on to amass a stack of over 10k before the money bubble burst, and I cruised to the win.
I finished second in the other $60 SNG, but I played well/ran well to get there. On the bubble, I was the short stack, with two medium stacks and one massive stack. First, I shoved a few hands in succession to get out of the danger zone. Then, I was mildly chagrined when one of the smaller stacks doubled up when his AK held against the big stack's QJ, all in preflop. But I was the recipient of some luck on the very next hand, when the other shorter stack got it all in with TT vs. the big stack's A3o. The shorty was safe through the flop and the turn, but the river was a lovely ace to get me into the money.
I was third in chips, but maybe three hands later, the medium stack ran KK into the chip leader's AA. I was at a 10-1 chip disadvantage when heads-up play began, and I busted in short order. But I basically had $150 gift-wrapped thanks to a bit of luck.
So, no more whining from me. I'm playing well and running well. Hopefully it continues.
Bankroll: $7,250

No comments:

Post a Comment