Monday, August 2, 2010

Best. Month. Ever.

Good news first. Poker-wise, the month of July was my most profitable since I began playing sit-n-gos in the $20-$50 neighbourhood. I made $1,300 - running pretty well, playing pretty well - to exceed the grand I made back in November.
I'm glad to be back on track, particularly coming off my first losing month (June). Maybe there's something to this blogging thing. I think it helps me to keep my head straight.
The bit of "bad" news is, July could have been even better. On Friday, I played a 180-player SNG with a $20 buy-in. These ones come together so rarely - at least, the non-turbo variety. The 180-player turbos come together all the time, and they're pretty fun, but the longer blind levels set up better for my game.
At any rate, I ended up final-tabling this tournament, finishing seventh for $128. I was a little pissed off, though, because I was third in chips with nine players left, with 35 big blinds in my stack. I lost the very first hand at the final table - holding KQ on Kxx flop, I bet out, and called a reraise. The turn was an ace, we checked it down, and my opponent had A4 offsuit. Are you kidding me. Then I gave away half my stack on a botched blind-steal that grew into a three-barrel bluff. Eventually I ended up shipping light in late position, called in two places, and busted.
A big disappointment, because first place was $1,080. Live and learn, I guess. If I had simply folded the pivotal hand instead of going for the blind-steal, I would have made an even deeper run.
Of course, if you'd told me when the tournament started that I'd finish seventh out of 180, I would have been exceedingly happy.
Bankroll = $4,800

2 comments: