Thursday, September 23, 2010

A winning month, the ugly way

Poker is such a sick game.
For the better part of the last two months, my results have been mediocre overall, and downright atrocious for extended stretches. I barely broke even in August, and as recently as Monday, I was $300 in the hole for September.
Then Wednesday night happened. The only reason I was playing was, I needed to play $150 worth of sit-n-gos to qualify for my monthly VIP level on PokerStars. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have opened the laptop. I was straight-up sick of the game.
Over the previous couple of weeks, I'd run so bad that I'd lost confidence that I was remotely capable of winning any tournament I entered. I made a few mistakes, sure. But I also lost when I did everything right. I lost holding AA vs. QQ, all in preflop. I lost with KK vs. 87o, with the money going in on a J84 flop. I can't count how many times I lost with AK vs. AQ. If I got my money in the pot in that spot, it was a certainty that there would be a queen on the flop.
The above paragraph might sound like a donkey's lament. But I'm not trying to say I played perfect poker. Far from it. Honestly, I did run pretty freaking bad. It's hard to continue to make the correct play when you're not getting rewarded. It's a vicious psychological cycle that can cause your game to deteriorate. It might seem easy to chalk it up to the natural variance of poker, but it's also hard to keep perspective in the middle of a run like that.
But I digress. We were talking about Wednesday night.
My hot streak actually started on Tuesday, when I won a $30 27-player SNG. On Wednesday, I ended up entering five SNGs, winning three and cashing in a fourth. I won two 27-player events - a $10 and a $30 - and also won a single-table $30.
Woot woot, back on track! My beautiful Wednesday allowed me to finish the month of September $300 to the good.
To review, my September looked like this: $300 upswing . . . $600 downswing . . . $200 upswing . . . $200 downswing . . . $600 upswing. Like a freaking yoyo. I'd prefer that my bankroll grew in a more stable fashion, but at least it's growing. It's better than the alternative, for sure.
Obviously, there are a few more days left in September. But I'm booking a $300 win this month, because I'm headed to NYC - that's right, the Big Apple - on vacation until Oct. 1. So no blogging for a couple days, but I'll tell you all about it when I get back. Spoiler alert: I have Yankees-Red Sox tickets. Booya!
Bankroll = $5,000

No comments:

Post a Comment