Sunday, September 5, 2010

A month of mediocre poker

It's been quite a while since I've had time to update this blog, so I'll hit you with a brief August poker overview.
Basically, I spent the month mired in mediocrity. (How's that for alliteration?) I played a ton, perhaps as much as I have in any given month. It was certainly the most I've played at my current stakes. But I ended up turning just a $200 profit - marginal considering how much I played.
Looking back, I think my mentality got a little twisted around the time I wrote my first post of the day on Aug. 13 (entitled "Finally, a nice score"). I was coming off my most successful month ever, profiting $1,300, but I realized that if I earned that amount each month, it would take me 28 years to pay off my mortgage. Which, of course, is the whole point of this exercise.
So I decided I was going to spend more time playing multi-table tournaments in an effort to make a big score. That's not terrible logic, but I got into a frame of mind where if I failed to cash in a couple tournaments, I'd enter an even bigger buy-in tourney to win back my losses all in one shot. Like, if I finished out of the money in three or four $30 SNGs, I'd play a $100 SNG to try to get even again. It was sort of like trying to win a tournament in the first level.
It was not an effective mindset, and I was fortunate to get a couple nice MTT results to turn a profit in August. I ended the month by finishing seventh out of 503 players in a $30 MTT. I was the chip leader with 18 players remaining, but ran into some problems with around 11 players left and settled for a $480 payday. First place was $2,800, but my inexperience in that spot (final table of MTT) showed. Next time I'll take it down.
Bottom line is, I now realize I need to get back to the grinding mentality, rather than trying to get rich quick. I'll still play MTTs - in fact, I think my game sets up really well for that format - but I'm just going to be a little more calm about it. Right now, I feel like I'm in a good place mentally and poised for big things.
Looking forward to a monster month of September.
Bankroll = $5,000

No comments:

Post a Comment