Friday, July 30, 2010

Playin' like a donkey, and bouncing back

Blogging about my poker exploits is fun when I'm winning. It's a little less enjoyable when I'm playing like a donkey. Humbling, even. But if I'm going to do this, I'd better be honest, so here's a look at a session I'm not so proud of.
In poker, when somebody loses their mind and starts spewing chips, it's said they're "on tilt." For me, in the bigger picture, sometimes I go on "life tilt." Which is to say, my passion for poker causes me to make terrible choices.
Last Sunday evening, I put in a long shift at the office and didn't arrive home until 11 p.m. But for some reason, I thought it would be wise to crack open the computer and play some sit-n-gos. The first tournament I played was a single-table $30 buy-in, and I built up my stack early. Then I took a gross beat - I bet every street holding QQ on a rag board, only to have my opponent overtake me with a runner-runner flush.
I subsequently lost my mind, and busted out of that tournament and three others - a $50, a $30 and a $20. Including the PokerStars rake, I was down about $140 for the session. Determined to snap my losing streak before I went to bed, I entered a $10 heads-up tourney. And another. And another. By the time I finally won one of those, it was 3 a.m. and I was $160 in the hole.
That's what I mean by life tilt.
The fact of the matter is, I never should have started playing so late at night. Obviously a bad decision for my physical and mental health, and brutal on my poker bankroll. Never mind the fact that I'd planned to continue my poker fast for another couple days. Situations like this are why I need to take breaks from poker.
In terms of poker $, I'm trending upwards again. Five days after my spew-fest, I got back at it and won back all I'd lost, plus another $120. The big scores were a pair of $50 single-table SNGs, which I won for a profit of around $350.
Bankroll = $4,720. Hoping to make better decisions going forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment