Sunday, June 20, 2010

So, what's the deal with this blog?

As a confirmed technophobe, writing my first blog post is a little crazy to me, and I wish I had a snappy opening paragraph to offer you.
But I don't. So rather than indulging in a bunch of foreplay, I figure I might as well launch into it.
So, what's the deal with this blog? And who is this guy?
I don't think I'll answer the latter question directly. Most of you who know about this blog know who I am. For those who stumble onto it, I think I'll remain anonymous, for no other reason than to maintain a sense of mystery. All you really need to know is contained in the banner at the top of the page - I'm a Canadian sportswriter, and the male pronoun suggests, I am a dude.
More or less, this site will be a space for me to vent. The predominant theme will be my exploits in the wonderful game of poker, but I'll also opine on the sports world at large, and anything else that catches my fancy.
Why do I play poker? On a basic level, it's because it's a freaking sweet game - an amazing mix of competition, psychology, math and gambling. I love to play tournaments, and I'm reasonably proficient at them - I've been a consistently profitable player in low-stakes ($5 to $50) sit-n-go tourneys on Pokerstars over the past couple of years.
On a more personal level, I've got this crazy dream in floating around in the back of my head. It goes like this: I improve as a player and build my bankroll, and eventually, I pay off the mortgage on my house with poker cash. It's definitely a dream at this point - my bankroll is currently just north of $3,500, which represents less than one per cent of my mortgage.
So a big purpose of this blog will be to chronicle my incremental attempts, futile though they may be, to reach my lofty goal. I intend to blog about the majority of my sit-n-go forays, with the intention of analyzing my play. This will also (I'm hoping) hold me accountable to play well, as opposed to playing a tourney mindlessly just because I've got nothing better to do.
At the end of the day, I'm hoping this blog exercise will make me a better poker player, a better writer, and a better person (more on that to come in future blog posts).
You're all invited to join me on my poker journey, and to offer critiques and feedback. Hopefully it's fun, and profitable.

No comments:

Post a Comment