Sunday, June 20, 2010

Grinding out a cash

Tournament: $20+$2 SNG (these will always be single-table unless otherwise noted)
Finish: 3 of 9
Winnings: $36
Key hands: I'll give you two. I'm proud of my patience in this SNG. I followed the ABC approach in the early going that Collin Moshman perscribes in "Sit 'n Go Strategy." I wasn't able to catch much by way of cards, and I basically treaded water as the blinds got up to 100-200. But I did the short-stack ninja routine, and managed to survive long enough to catch JJ in the small blind. The big blind called my open-shove with Kd7d, and I got my double-up to 2100.
From there, I managed to steal just enough blinds to survive on the money bubble, and the player who doubled me up earlier bubbled in fourth place when he lost a coin flip.
I ended up busting a couple orbits later. I limped with QsJs in the small blind, and the BB raised to 600. I called, and saw a Q-8-x rainbow flop. I checked, he bet 400, and I check-raised all-in. He called with AA, and I wasn't able to catch up. Those suited cards were just too pretty for me to get rid of preflop, even though my opponent had been playing really solid poker. Once I paired my queen, I was pretty much married to it, given my stack size and the amount of $ in the pot. I need to be able to get away from that preflop.

No comments:

Post a Comment